What liquids can you take in your hand baggage when traveling with Qatar Airways?
If you have decided to fly with the Qatari airline, you should know that you can take liquids in the cabin but in a reduced quantity:
– Everything must fit in one bag.
– This bag must be transparent and have a closure system (zipper, zip). The 1 liter Zipper bags are strong and perfectly suited to carry-on luggage.
– The bag must have a maximum capacity of 1 liter.
– Inside, each product should not exceed a maximum capacity of 100 milliliters.
– You must take the transparent bag out of your luggage during the security check and present it separately.
What is liquid on an airplane?
The notion of Liquid is quite broad: it concerns drinks, perfumes, lotions, creams, oils, syrups, gels (shower gel, …), soups … but it also concerns everything that has a consistency pasty (toothpaste, spread, yogurt, honey, etc.), liquid or semi-liquid makeup products (mascara, gloss, liquid foundation, nail polish), as well as aerosols, deodorants, foams (mousse shaving for example).
On the other hand, a face powder or a stick lipstick are not considered liquids. The only rule of caution: on flights to the United States, the transport of powdered products is limited to 350 ml.
If you get thirsty easily, take a collapsible bottle with you. You can go fill it at the tap before you get on the plane.
The case of baby food
The first big exception to the liquids rules is baby food! You can travel with a toddler as soon as he reaches the age of one week (short flight) or three weeks (long-haul), and of course, there is no question of serving baby a meal tray for the older ones.
If you have a child, you have the right to bring milk, breast milk (for those who express their milk), Baby food, a bottle of water or fruit juice over the limit allowed for liquids,… provided that the quantity carried is “reasonable” in relation to the length of the flight. In other words, 12 small pots for a 3 hour flight is not very believable.
You may be asked to taste the liquids you are carrying for the baby during security and in any case, you will need to take them out of your bag to present them to the officer.
Some things to know:
– Take resealable containers (as you may be asked to taste the products) and avoid materials that may break (small glass jars).
– You can take powdered milk without water and ask flight attendants for water.
– Unlike food, baby care products are not considered “must have” so they count towards your fluid quota.
– On the other hand, baby is supposed to be entitled to his own baggage, … so you can play on that to take small bottles for him as well.
Liquids and gels in carry-on baggage on board a Qatar Airways aircraft
Liquids, gels, pastes and aerosols are permitted in carry-on baggage in containers up to 100 ml. Containers with a volume greater than 100 ml will not be accepted for transport, even if they are only partially filled. The containers must be placed in a transparent and airtight bag of 1 liter or 1 liter and not exceeding 20 x 20 cm. All items should fit freely in the plastic bag.
A transparent bag of liquids must be presented for screening separately from the rest of your carry-on baggage. The restrictions do not apply to baby food and medication. However, you may need to present a prescription for any medication you plan to take on board.
Important things to remember about transporting liquids on Qatar Airways planes
Can we take deodorant in cabin baggage? Yes, the deodorant (even in aerosol) can be transported in the cabin as in the hold. If it’s an aerosol, it must have a cap.
Can we take the electronic cigarette in your cabin baggage?
You must keep it with you (not in baggage) for it to be transported. It must of course be switched off and it is forbidden to use it or even to recharge it during the flight.
You can carry with you (that is to say not in luggage) a small box of “classic” matches (which one rubs to light them) or a maximum lighter (whether it is a liquefied gas lighter. or a gasoline lighter). However, lighter fluid and gasoline are prohibited in the hold or in the cabin.
It is important to understand that Blue Flame lighters, cigarette lighter lighters and lighters containing other substances than those mentioned above are prohibited everywhere, in the hold as well as in the cabin.
How much liquid can be carried in checked baggage?
In hold baggage, passengers have the right to carry liquids without being limited by weight or volume.
However, there is an exception rule for cosmetic or medical items (note: neither radioactive, nor toxic, nor flammable), for example, perfumes or hair spray.
For drinks, such as water, coca-cola and similar drinks, there is usually no restriction on the amount of checked baggage.
Often, it is simply said that liquids arriving in containers with a capacity greater than 100 ml should be stowed in the hold baggage. However, the total amount of liquid that can be packed in checked baggage is usually omitted.
Exceptional rule for cosmetic or medical articles which are not radioactive
In checked baggage, however, a special provision must be observed:
– The rule expressly states that the total net quantity of non-radioactive cosmetic or medical articles (belonging to subclass 2.2 = non-flammable and non-toxic gases) and aerosols (non-flammable and non-toxic), may not exceed 2 kg or 2 l and the net quantity of each individual item cannot exceed 0.5 kg or 0.5 l.
– This quantity should be interpreted as a combined quantity for hold baggage and hand baggage.
– IATA also emphasizes in this context that aerosol valves must be protected by protective caps or other appropriate means to prevent the accidental release of their contents.
(Liquid) items purchased from duty free shops
Liquids such as spirits, cosmetics and other products purchased in Duty Free shops at the airport or in the city center are authorized subject to the following conditions:
– Packaging in transparent airtight bags supplied by duty-free shops, also in bags with damage detection function (STEB: Security Tamper Evident Bag) manufactured in accordance with international standards.
– Regardless of the volume, merchandise is authorized as long as the tax-free purchase receipts are affixed inside the damage detection bags.
– All liquid zero-rated goods sold in the cabin of the aircraft that may be subject to inspection during procedures (including transfer / passage through screening) must be packed in bags with a damage detection function.
– Maintain a sealed state until boarding the final destination flight.
Due to different security rules, when transferring / passing through control at foreign airports, refusal / confiscation of liquids purchased from the duty free shop on board the aircraft is possible, therefore, please inform the agents of board these goods in advance.